ARTARIA, AUGUST (1807–1893). VIENNA

Lugt 33

In 1842, August Artaria became the head of the publishing house Artaria & Co. He had a collection of prints of extraordinary quality. In 1890–1891 he put together different parts of his family collection which was auctioned after his death in 1896 (prints by Dürer, Rembrandt and other great European artists) and in 1904 (the remnants of the collection).

Artaria & Co. was a publishing house in Vienna. It was founded in 1769 by Italian-born Carlo Artaria (1747–1808) and his brothers. Coming to live in Austria in 1750, they at first published woodcut prints and maps. Since 1778, they also started to print musical works, opening branch offices in Mainz and Mannheim. In the end of 18th – beginning of 19th century, it was considered one of the leading music publishers in Europe. It ceased to exist in 1932.